When a new person shows up at a critique group they are often intimidated or embarassed when asked to critique another’s work. They aren’t English professors or best selling novelists, they protest. We contend, however, that they are entirely qualified to critique. They are, after all, readers!
Critique group newbies may not be able to hightlight point-of-view errors or catch every misplaced comma. They can, however, identify which parts of the piece confused them, where they lost interest, or what struck them as especially useful or funny.
Just remember to use the sandwich rule when giving critique to others: start with something nice, identify where the piece could be improved, and end with words of encouragement.
Every reader has input that can be valuable to another writer.
Find a critique group near you: (PLEASE email FIRST. Some groups are full or have schedule changes)
- NORTH COUNTY COASTAL: 1st Thursday from 10am-Noon. Group is full. Email for waiting list info.
- BEACH CITIES: 3rd Tue. at 9:00 a.m. at the home of Martha Gorris. Group is full. Email for waiting list info.
- ESCONDIDO: 4th Wednesdays at 10:00 am at the home of Jan Flickinger.
- NATIONAL CITY: Every Tuesday from 12:30-2:30pm at the National City Public Library, 1401 National City Blvd. Della Loredo hostess. Group is full. Email for waiting list info.
- POWAY: 3rd Mondays at 7:00 pm at the home of Kathryn Hughes
- RAMONA: 1st and 3rd Mondays at 6:30 pm at the home of Pete Zindler
- KINGMAN, AZ: 2nd Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. Jeff Adams host.
- TEMECULA: 2nd Tuesdays at 7:00 pm at the home of Rebecca Farnbach
- SAN BERNARDINO: 1st Tuesdays at 7:00 at the home of Pegge and Steven Hofman
- CYBERSPACE: All days, All hours! For info on joining the Guild’s members only online critique groups email firstname.lastname@example.org. Carol Thomas Karaszewski moderator.